I'm a Loser...




This past Sunday - the feast of Pentecost and the eve of the 18th anniversary of my ordination - I had the privilege to lead worship and preach at the ordination of Melinda Sue Stum, a member of HTLC, and a newly called pastor in the ELCA.  It was an opportunity for me to reflect upon this job that I do and why.  I captured some of those thoughts in my sermon which I think I needed to hear as much as anyone...

In general we pastors aren’t routinely subjected to ridicule and insults.  Except perhaps from ourselves. And I’m sure the bishop can tell some stories about visiting congregation in conflict where faithful saints of the Lord unload their fears and anxiety upon him as the designated representative of the church.  But ordinarily clergy are, if not respected, left alone.  Sometimes I get kind of a sideways glance from people at the gas station or the grocery store if I happen to be wearing a collar or some other pastor identification.  It’s almost like they’re saying…”who let the priest out.”  And years ago when I might have been pushing a baby stroller, the looks were even more scandalous.

But in general, unless I’m completely clueless – which is altogether plausible – we’re not the butt of jokes – at least not in the same way that lawyers unfortunately are.  And unlike politicians, we can usually make a few mistakes before people start wanting to send us back to where we came from.

At the same time, the role of a pastor in this world is changing.  Like I said, many people don’t know what to do with us in public.  Kind of like a payphone, or a stick-shift car, or an antique in a home filled with furniture from IKEA, pastors – and in many ways anyone who professes a strong commitment to serving the church – we’re not ridiculed, but we're out of place, we don’t belong.

I said that we're not ridiculed – but I have to rat you out, Melinda.  You see, I have it on anonymous authority that you did, in fact, at some time in the past respond to a reference about me using the term “loser.”  Now, I hate to bring this up on such an auspicious occasion, but it seems only right that all trespasses should be absolved prior to your ascension to the clerical office.  And I am going to bestow such an absolution in regard to the “loser” comment, for two reasons – 1) My anonymous source tells me that the offending comment was quickly followed by your signature high pitched laugh which tells me that you almost certainly were, as you often are, joking.  And 2)I am positive that you are not the first, nor will you be the last to disparage my name – joking or for real.

Really – it is a blessing to me that I have had the chance to not only get to know you and mentor you these last years, but that you feel comfortable enough joking with our friends about me and our relationship as friends and colleagues.  I am honored to share this tremendous occasion with you.

But it is, as I said, a changing role in the community to which we aspire…about which we tease one another, good naturedly.  And this got me to thinking.  What are we – not just pastors, but all people of faith – if not an enigma in a world that would rather celebrate things like power, wealth, success, and privilege?

Of course this is nothing new…leaders in the church and among God’s chosen people going back to the days of Moses and before, have always had to balance and grapple with the tension between the priestly role that garners respect and the prophetic role that is more often than not labeled something far more damning than “loser.”

What does it mean to be called?  Whom do we become?

Jeremiah was convinced that his youth and his perceived inability to articulate a message clearly precluded him from service among God’s people.  He is not unlike others in scripture and many today who tremble at the prospect of speaking anything in public let alone the word of God.

But God has a message to Jeremiah, and to us, and to you, Melinda.
It is a message that we do not necessarily want to hear…and yet it is crucial that we – pastors, leaders, the whole church, not only hear this message – but also proclaim it - and absolutely live it.

The message is this.

God – loves – losers.

For centuries the church has sat atop a pinnacle of prestige that has fooled us into imagining ourselves the ones whom God has given great and powerful status in the universe.  And a passage like the one that was read today from Matthew’s Gospel, and it’s confirmation of authority, has long been misunderstood to be about us and our greatness rather than about the greatness of those to whom we are called.

But we get this all wrong.  We think that this authority and this calling is for our benefit – for our status – for our pride, when in truth God is looking through us to the one whom God cannot help but love, and care for, and lift out of the depths of despair – the loser – the fallen – the suffering – the outcast – the poor – the desperate – the dying.

See how God deals with Jeremiah and his pride – “You shall go to all to whom I send you, and you shall speak whatever I command you…I have put my words in your mouth.”

Melinda…long ago God spoke those words to you.  God has been sending you and giving you words to speak for many years now, and the world has been blessed.  The church has even decided that it wants to set you apart for this job of speaking God’s word.  The people of Gloria Dei Lutheran Church in Kelso, WA want you to speak God’s word to them and Baptize them and serve the Lord’s Supper among them…and there will be many more as your grow and move and serve within this church who will call on you to speak and serve.

But do not forget…and believe me, this is not retributive justice on my part…Melinda, do not forget that you are a loser.

You are – so am I – and so is each and every one of us here.

You were right when you labeled me a loser.  For we are called to lose our lives for the sake of this world and these people whom God loves so much.  As the writer of Ephesians puts it, “each of us was given grace according to the measure of Christ’s gift.”  Christ’s gift is his very life – that he gave on the cross – that God gives to the world in resurrection and everlasting life.

So the rest of the world doesn't understand this.  They don’t know what to do with us.  And whether we see and hear it or not, they probably are making all kinds of jokes and disparaging remarks about us.

But we wear that ridicule with humility and grace – as surely as you will wear one of these stoles in just a little while.  Because we know that none of this is about us.  This is all about God.

Today, Melinda, you are ordained to the ministry of Word and Sacrament.  You are honored and blessed…you are set apart and you are given great privilege and respect.

Only do not mistake that honor for veneration and reverence – no matter what that title soon to stand before your name says.  Because today is about one thing, Melinda…the same thing it has always been about…God’s love – for you and for all to whom God sends you.

And remember – Melinda, always remember.

God loves losers.

Comments