Living into my mom's legacy

So this might be a short post...I just wanted to share a gratitude about something. I am, at the moment, sitting in a hotel room in Anaheim, California. I'm here as a chaperone for my son's High School Choir trip. So while I sit in this hotel room there are 73 teenagers in rooms around me - at least I hope they're in their rooms...it's 11:30pm! A few of the other parents (moms) are also chaperoning. Tomorrow the choir sings at a festival competition, and on Saturday we all go to Disneyland! The kids are doing great - no behavior issues yet - no problems - only a little drama... It's a fun group and I am looking forward to spending more time with them over the next couple of days.

But I tell you all of this because today is a kind of "pass the torch" kind of day. My mother used to chaperone my choir trips when I was a high schooler. Now I get the privilege. And I mean that...it is a short time that I have to be able to spend these days with my son and the kids he goes to school with - his friends - kids who love music just as I did those years ago and 'til today. Not many parents are able to give three days away to support and encourage a bunch of kids. Unfortunately, many parents even if they do have the opportunity don't take it. There are lots of other things to spend time doing. I've always admired my mom for taking the time to support my endeavors. I am glad that I have the chance to do the same.

It's among the highest of callings that we give of ourselves so that kids can grow and mature, discover talents and dream of what they might become. I am grateful to my mom for showing me how to live with that ideal forefront in my mind. And I am grateful to be here today carrying on a holy tradition.

Now was that one of our kids who's footsteps I just heard bouncing down the hall?!?!

Comments