Better as Part of a Story

As I write this I am sitting in a convention center in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.  I am a voting member for the Churchwide Assembly of the ELCA.  Along with almost 1000 other voting members plus numerous other leaders, observers, volunteers and guests, we are gathered to conduct the "business" of the church.  The Presiding Bishop is the chair of these proceedings.  There are lots of reports, and there's voting on changes to the governing documents of our church.  We will elect a new Presiding Bishop and Secretary, and consider the adoption of a social statement on criminal justice.  In addition, we join our hearts and voices for worship, Bible study, prayer, and conversation.  Of course, there are lots of boring moments (ok, hours!).  Roberts Rules of Order deliberately slows the process down so that our endeavors are careful and diligent.  But I've caught myself falling asleep a couple of times already...and it's only the second day!

There has been much talk in recent years - and criticism - about the "institution" of the church.  Institutions are human creations.  They are flawed.  As much good as can be done through charitable organizations or institutions that seek to better the world in big or small ways, there are still the possibilities, and inevitabilities, of mistakes, errors in judgement, and corruption.  Churches are not immune to these and hordes of other problems.

So lots of people say we should get rid of the institution...do away with organized religion.  "I'll be spiritual, but I want nothing to do with religion," they say.  The Church has been a source of pain for many people...it has not lived up to its message of grace and peace in many times and places.  I know people to whom the Church - its leaders and its "regular people" - has lied, abused, ignored, ridiculed, judged, manipulated, and ostracized.  These people are wounded, hurting, afraid and angry.  Thankfully (I guess) most of them aren't willing to cast every last member of the Church into an abyss of eternal condemnation (some are), so they blame the institution, the religion, the organization.

I wonder sometimes why I remain a part of this institution.  Well, part of that answer has to do with the fact that my pension and health care package is wrapped up in the institution.  But in a larger, more significant sense, even though the institution is deeply flawed and often belligerently hurtful, I want to be part of a structure that helps me hold the story of faith together.  In our praise of God and in our cries of confession we, the people of the church complete the story for ourselves and others.  I suppose I could do that on my own, but with so many supporting me and upholding me, I believe I am stronger and more articulate.  Therefore, I believe the church is stronger and more articulate.

From the midst of an exciting and inspirational group of saints representing my church and the Church in all parts of creation, thank you for being part of my story!

Comments